Friday, September 23, 2011

Love Rain

Huh, script reading already? Love Rain isn’t scheduled to air till 2012, but the main cast convened recently for its first script reading, which included actors Jang Geun-seok, Yoon-ah, Kim Shi-hoo, Sohn Eun-seok, Hwang Bora, and Seo In-gook. (I use the term scheduled loosely; technically Love Rain isn’t scheduled at all, in that it doesn’t have a concrete timeslot, but producers are aiming to secure a broadcast slot for early next year.)
Regarding the drama’s story, Yoon PD said, “There were a lot of one-sided loves in the ’70s era, a time period that the actors haven’t experienced for themselves.
 It was also a happy time, and the script reflects a lot of the emotions and experience that still linger in my memory.” According to one production company source, “Veteran PD Yoon Suk-ho led the proceedings and explained everything in detail, not leaving out even the smallest thing.”
Yoon-ah, playing two roles as a university student in the 1970s and her plucky daughter in 2012, said, “The two characters have conflicting traits, so I felt the burden of playing both roles. But after working with the director, writer, and other actors I feel like we fit well together, which is reassuring.”
Sounds like Yoon PD has a very specific idea for what he wants to achieve, and I predict the drama will heavily bear his imprint: Scenic locales, a mood-enhancing soundtrack, a strong dose of sentimentality, and lots of melodramangst. In all the news about Yoon Suk-ho and his young cast, I hadn’t paid as much attention to the writer, but now that I remember that Oh Soo-yeon worked on Season Dramas Autumn Fairy Tale (scriptwriter) and Winter Sonata (initial writer), as well as the Cinderella story All About Eve and the extremely angsty A Star’s Lover, I’m feeling warier than ever.
I love a good melodrama and I’m not averse to angst, but I hope Love Rain’s pure-love and fated-through-the-generations premise can convey youthful melodrama in a new way, rather than giving us Hallyu Dramas Redux.

No comments:

Post a Comment